Badminton came into the country with the start of planned economic development and as Bhutan opened its doors to the outside world. Badminton is one of the most affordable sports and is accessible to most. It is an enjoyable healthy recreation and at the same time allows for the fostering of worthy values of discipline, healthy competition and sportsmanship.
The Bhutan Badminton Association was created in August 1994. In 1996, the Bhutan Olympic Committee approved the establishment of the Bhutan Badminton Federation (BBF), in place of Bhutan Badminton Association.
The BBF is governed by the provisions of the constitution of the Federation, which was ratified by the General Meeting of the Federation on August 1997 and by the Bhutan Olympic Committee, to whom the Federation is affiliated.
The objectives of the Federation, as stated in its constitution are:
- To promote and improve the sport of Badminton in the country;
- To promote badminton as a healthy recreation for the general public;
- To unite individuals and badminton associations/ clubs in the country under one roof;
- To foster the values of sportsmanship, friendship and discipline among the players;
- To foster and nurture talent to increase participation of the Bhutanese in the international competitions.
Phone: +975 2 332 461